Top Image

Top Image

The Map Is Not the Territory

Posted on: Sunday, December 8, 2013



I knew from deep within me that physical therapy was the right career for me. I knew it was an expression of my ideals and I knew it was a tool I could use to express myself and change people and the world in a way that I desired. I knew that I would “above all, do no harm” be it to a person or the environment. I look back now, to that person that knew all this, and he was right.

He was 14 years old, in the Southwest suburbs of Chicago. I am 52 years old now and I have been a Physical Therapist for 28 years. I have given it everything I have; learned, gathered, created, and worked so much. I’ve collaborated and discussed and argued. I’ve persevered and I’ve perseverated. And I’m going to do my best to share some of that here. But no matter what I write, I will not be able to recreate what happens in our clinic. This is the beginning of a map, but the clinic is the territory. And just like reading a map is no substitute for a true journey of any kind, reading this blog will never recreate what happens in our clinic. Which is often magical. I’ve had hundreds of testimonials, none of them solicited, that have told me so. Many to my ear, as someone pulls me aside to tell me how grateful they are, how we exceeded their wildest expectations. Many in writing (some on our website, which is long overdue for an update in this regard). And we’ve reached out to a few of these people lately and asked if we could interview them, and they agreed to do so, and we’ll post their interviews here.

So you’ll get to read a lot, and see some pictures, and maybe even see some videos. But there is no substitute for experiencing what happens at our clinic. My dream continues to come alive there, and it is meshing with and being modified by and strengthened with the dreams and skills of others, like Alison Hanson, who has been with me for 15 years. Mia Katzel, who has been with me for 9 years. And many others over the years. The point is that there is no substitute for actually coming to the clinic, telling us about yourself and what you need, what you want, what your goals are, having us talk with you, test you, evaluate you and diagnose you, collaborate with you, treat you, and make it happen. Often to a degree that you wouldn’t have thought possible.



But for right here, right now, I’ll write. I’ll add my thoughts on things that don’t happen in the clinic, or don’t happen with every person, every visit, but are part of our DNA, just not expressed with them, because that thought or concept or technique didn’t match their diagnosis or needs or wants. I might discuss politics. Hell, I might quote old song lyrics or simply write about how I’m feeling. But please, don’t think that reading this blog is the same as coming to our clinic. It isn’t. But I think with time it will be worth reading and it will help you understand who we are and what we’re trying to do. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Physical Therapyworks Blog All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger